Although we seem to spend on our lovable pets before ourselves, rugs cost money and if you can save yourself a few pennies then as they say every penny counts.
Nowadays each horse averages six rugs and if you have a rug wrecker or a rug angel, they need looking after.
A few basic things will help your rugs survive the season, if you can find a few minutes to check them.
- Tears start small but one rub against a fence can cause a log tear down one side. Keep an eye & use duck tape to cover small holes till the end of the season
- When they get hairy, it's a nightmare. Use a Sleek-EZ grooming tool to remove unwanted hair
- As annoying as velcro is, rug manufacturers love it. Use a dog slicker brush to keep it clean so it can do it's job
If you are washing rugs at home machine, use the manufacturers detergent or a non-bio liquid AND make sure there is enough space for the drum to move and the machine can take the weight once the rug is wet
- Any rugs that are beyond repair, remove old straps, clips etc It will save you money
- Save 5% by paying for your rugs online before you bring them down, then there are only repairs to pay for when you collect them